Sunday 11 May 2014

Dottie quilt finish

Finally getting round to sorting this post! I was really pleased to get my Dottie quilt finished up a couple of weeks ago. I'd been trying to clear the decks a bit before getting too absorbed in my Aviatrix Medallion so I pushed on to get it completed.


#dottiequilt is finished! Will wash it and then blog it. #quilting #quilt #sewing #handmade @cluckclucksew #finishit2014


I started this quilt earlier this month at our Leeds Modern Quilt Guild meeting and wasn't all that thrilled with it at first, but it has really grown on me. 

It's a pretty simple layer cake pattern by Cluck Cluck Sew. I wouldn't say it is the greatest beginner pattern as it is a little fiddly but it comes together fairly quickly and I really love the effect of those double snowball blocks. 

I'd had that border fabric stashed for a long time for this quilt. It is Front Row in green from Jenean Morrison's Silent Cinema line. I used a layer cake square of it in the quilt too, to replace a textured solid which read as white, and I'm really pleased with it. I do love the reliability of using whole fabric collections but have learnt that adding in even just one or two prints from other lines can really help lift and brighten the finished effect.

I pondered over the binding too. My husband suggested this pink Aneela Hoey print but I felt it needed something a bit stronger and less girly.



This Tula Pink Acacia diamonds print is just the perfect teal and the perfect scale. I've bought a half yard of this once before and used it almost immediately in the final border of my Marcelle Medallion. I was sad, so I replaced it, only to have used it up to bind this quilt. I'm not sorry, it's perfect, but isn't it funny how some fabrics sit in your stash forever while some just won't stay on the shelves? I should have bought yards of this.

I even had a backing for this quilt in my stash. I picked up this lovely Pam Kitty Love print from Fat Quarter Shop when it was 50% off. I love bargain quilt backings and this is so pretty.



I quilted it with my go to quilt pattern, the wavy stitch setting done with my walking foot. At 2.5" spacings on the diagonal. I feel I am getting a little predictable with this but it just works so well and I love the effect it gives. 

I'm not sure yet where this quilt will end up. I had started it thinking it might be a gift for eldest girl's reception teacher this Summer. But I'm not sure that's a precedent I wish to set!! I'm still pondering. But it's another one off the FAL list!






Details as follows:
Pattern: Dottie by Cluck Cluck Sew
Fabric: A layer cake of Hello Luscious by Basic Grey, plus Kona Snow and some Front Row in green by Jenean Morrison for the outer border
Backing: Pam Kitty Love
Binding: Acacia teal diamonds by Tula Pink
Size: 61" by 69"
Quilting: Wavy lines with my walking foot on my Janome Horizon 8200. In white Aurifil 50wt thread #2021


I'm planning a little giveaway tomorrow for my first ever Sew Mama Sew giveaway day so be sure to pop back then!


4 comments:

  1. Looks stunning, well done on getting it finished and not having it sitting taunting you! Yes be very careful about setting precedents with teacher gifts, our reception team has 4 teachers and 6 TA's! And yes I did make gifts for everyone, twice, my youngest starts there in September too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised that the block is made of two snow ball blocks. It looks more complicated. My type of pattern! Your idea of including the border fabric in the body of the quilt was a good one. That kind of continuity is a good thing. I too like to mix my fabric lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A start and finish all in one month? That is some great effort right there, I wish I could finish up a few things around here! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thank you for your comment :-)